Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Personal Statements

My goals are to finish high school and go to college. Also I hope to apply for many scholarships as i can. It is very important for me to get many scholarships because college is not something cheap. I will also have a job and save up money because it is still a necessary thing to do. The thought of receiving scholarships makes me happy and it especially makes my parents happy. They are really proud of me because they want a better future for me since they did not have many opportunities when they were in school and did not get far in their education. Being a senior in high school is exciting because it is really the beginning. I am getting closer to what my future holds. I am ready to make the best out of my last year in high school and enjoy being with my friends as well. I think going to college is going to change my life in a better way. Also I want to help others achieve their goals in any way I can because I like it when others help me. Helping others is one of the things I like to do because it makes me feel content to see them succeed.

Many problems are among us that we should try to solve. One issue that concerns me is that half the world, nearly three billion people, lives in poverty. Many country's leaders do not promote polices that meet the needs of their people and thus the world's poor are forced to live on their luck. It all starts with not receiving health care and diseases spreading out and becoming worse. It is sad to see innocent people die every day of starvation or preventable diseases, especially children.
Another issue is the downturn in the economy recently. It is making life harder by prices rising dramatically. Almost every job is getting paid the same and others are losing their jobs. With this, we cannot keep up with the situation. People are now spending more money on their needs and are not having much money left for themselves. Many restaurants and entertainment places are likely not doing as well because people can not go spending much money like they used too.

Many individuals have influenced me in many ways throughout my life. One person that has been by my side and that is never going to let go is my mom. She is my hero. All she wants for me is to do my best in everything I do, especially in my education. She says that she wants me to have a better life than her because she does not want to see me doing something like her job which is in a factory. She works very hard every day, getting up early and coming home in the afternoon. Just by seeing how tired she is when she comes home from work is tough. I want to make her proud of me. When I get older and have a good and stable job, I want to earn good money so I can save up and help my mom pay bills and take her on vacations. She has a lot of stress upon her, but I know that soon, in a couple of years, she will have a better life. What I most admire about her is that she understands me in any situation I have. Sometimes I do not even feel like she is my mom, rather she is a best friend.

I want to attend the University of Nebraska at Omaha because I have had many experiences in the college. Having been in meetings at UNO through the Latino Leadership program, taught me many things. The University offers great opportunities for minorities. The programs that they offer sound great and I know that if I get in to UNO, I will make the best of it. I will join in programs that can help me plan ahead in my education and meet as many people as I can. I think that the more I know and get involved, the better my future will look. Also, being a Summer Scholar has definitely brought me to my conclusion in attending UNO. I experienced staying in the dorms for a week and did well in my college English class. Hopefully by next year I can call myself a UNO student.

No comments: