Monday, June 16, 2008

Bolg #1

1. What was most encouraging and motivating to me was being in this summer program. This program has been very positive because it is teaching me how to be prepared for college. Having an idea of how college can be as a high school student is preparing me for the real thing. I think that when I am going to be a college student it will not make me as nervous because of this program. Before, I had the idea of college being very hard and having a scary image of it. But that has changed how I see it now, which I am really glad it is not like that. I want to experience more and have great opportunities like I have had in this program. It has made me want to learn more.

2. The most challenging I think has been the homework part. I have been used to having days to do an essay and reading like two to three, not that long, chapters. My class I am taking is English and it is a really fun class. My teachers is a great teacher that she does small activities for us which does not make the class boring. But when we have homework, it is to write a three to four page essay or when it is about reading, we read about 30 pages in one night. I think this is a challenge for me, but at the same time I like it because it is preparing me. Even though it is a pressure, I know that it is in a good way.

3. I have been learning many new things about myself that have surprised me. When the program took us to Ashland, Nebraska to go on a high obstacle course, which was really high. I am extremely scared of heights and being up there and looking down was very terrifying at first. To get through, we were in small groups and we had to work together as a team. Working as a team was a relief and I made new friends. But than after being up there, it was not as scary. I got used to it and I was really proud of myself for being brave. Also I learned how to not be too shy. I am very shy when I am somewhere new with new people, but in this program I feel very comfortable. If I have a question, I can easily ask for help.

4. This whole summer program has been a positive experience. Staying at the dorms for a week really gave me an idea of how it can be away from home. And being with three other strangers, made me nervous, but after meeting them, they were feeling the way I was. And they were really nice. And having to take a college class is great because I am also getting credit for it. Also by having speakers to come and talk about college and answering any question or concern, helps a lot. I am learning everyday.

No comments: